Master Bedroom Renovation Challenge: [Stages 2-3] Closet Demolition

Catch up on the renovation progress! 

Hi all! It’s been quite the week here! Our master bedroom project slowed down last week because of some prior events and trips, but things have picked up again over this past week with Karl working on it most evenings after work. Baby girl and I have been staying away because, well, Karl doesn’t want me swinging a hammer “in my condition”, and also just to be safe as there’s speculation of drywall dust containing gluten (crazy, right?!).

Gotta say, having to take a step back and not being allowed able to help with the grunt work on the house during this pregnancy is a bit hard for me. Yes, I’m able to sit back and let someone else do it, but I want to be able to put my mark on this house as well, ya know? For example, I like being able to walk through the downstairs and think “I sanded under that radiator with my bare hands and got bloody knuckles…I scraped that wallpaper until my whole body ached, but man, look at it now!”.

In the future as I think back to our master bedroom renovation I’d much prefer to be able to think, “I knocked down that wall”, but it’s looking like I’ll have to settle for, “I found and hung pretty pictures on that wall…”. That doesn’t sound quite as memorable to me, lol. Anyone else relate? Am I just weird? (nevermind, we already know I’m weird…)

Anywho, back to demo.

Most of the closet is now out, so by the end of the day tomorrow we should have the room’s “original” closet completely knocked out!

Here’s a quick recap of pix to show the gradual process over this past week:

taking out closet rods

The back walls of the closet were an odd and thin plastic surface, kind of like a shower wall. Very weird, but not too difficult to pull away.

Surprise, surprise…more plywood. Still have no idea why the past owner did this.

The past owner seemed to have gone to town with an overabundance of screws in the posts, so it took awhile to get them down.

Look! Original wood flooring! :) …that the past owner put screws through…ggrrrrr.

The closet’s header is simply a 2×4 and…you guessed it…plywood beneath drywall. That’s all coming down tomorrow, which I’m really looking forward to as I know the room is gonna feel so much more open once it’s out!

After all of Karl’s heroic efforts from this week, here’s what it looks like as of now:

p.s. – I couldn’t get any full pictures of the closet because of all the debris in the room, and I didn’t want to risk getting stuck by a nail or screw and then have to get a tetanus shot while preggo, soooo…this will have to do. ;)

Yay for progress!

After the closet’s demo is complete, we’ll be running some wiring and drywalling, mudding, and sanding the back wall of where the closet had been.

…and then comes what I’m so excited to see happen – primer and paint!

Stay tuned! Also, I’ll be posting on Instagram this weekend to show the header coming down, so follow along!

Have a good weekend, y’all!


Shared On: thatdiyparty, beforeandafterwednesday

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *