Master Bedroom Renovation Challenge: Week 4

 Week 4 of the master bedroom and closet renovation! Yipes.

Our original estimation for finishing was 4-6 weeks, but something tells me that at our current pace we’ll be lucky to make it in 8 weeks.

However, wall demo is done – wooo! With that stage of the process behind us, this past week Karl and I made a list of the rest of the things needing done and scheduled them out over the next four weeks. It’s a daunting list that includes electrical and dry-walling, painting, and sanding and staining floors.

Can we do it…?

…we’re gonna darn well try!

Catch up on the renovation progress! 
 

 

I must also say that one of Karl’s qualities I admire (and is really showing itself in these renovations we’ve been doing since moving) is his dedication and staying on-task with one project until it’s done. I know how some people tend to bounce between various house projects without finishing, and I’d go crazy with someone like that, so I’m very appreciative of Karl and his efforts to finish the master.

So enough talk, let’s see some progress pix!

The other side of the drywall door was taken out, so we now have a fully opened doorway between the future master and walk-in closet.

Don’t mind the odd wood beam supporting the clothes rod in the pic below…one of the rods came to us missing and so to keep it from toppling, this is my “ingenious” Top Gear way of fixing it. Brilliant!

 

 

We do have a bit of floor leveling to do between rooms. We’re thinking we could put in little ramps on either side, but if any of you have better ideas, please comment away!

 

Closet header is officially gone!

 

In fact, much of the header was thrown out the window…literally (and yes, I know I did the cel video all wrong…d’oh!)


It’s Raining Debris from Draven on Vimeo.

It took a LOT of effort to get the header demo’d – apparently the previous owner did everything to insure that closet was STAYING, which meant an excess of screws and 2x4s. Karl was extra careful trying to get the screws out of the original wood floor without tearing them up further, and he succeeded pretty well.

The chimney is exposed now on the inside wall of where the closet had been (it was behind the weird shower wall material). Some of the original plaster is still hanging onto the bottom half, as well as some layers of wallpaper.

 

Not bad for a day of work, especially in 90-degree and humid weather!

This upcoming week will consist of electrical work, and then it’ll be onto drywall. Wish us luck!

 

Catch up on the renovation progress! 
 

 


You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *